FREE SRIXON BALLS
The Panmure Golf Club was founded in 1845, when seventeen gentlemen met and commissioned Allan Robertson and Alexander Pirie from St Andrews to lay out nine holes in the area of Monifieth. They were paid the princely sum of thirty shillings. A further hole was added in 1851, but discarded twenty years later.
There is a gentle beginning before Panmure opens up beyond the pine forest. Hillocks and heather present the same challenge as the more traditional sand dunes. The 6th played at an angle is only 387 yards, but the second shot to the raised green poses a stern test. The real quality of the course is in the next few holes – so often the case in links golf – either side of the turn. The 7th is the longest par four at 418 yards, the 8th threads between hills and the 10th a long dogleg right, before a change of direction at 11. 12 and 13 are not long, but penalty awaits a wayward shot.
Click to view map